How to Stay Healthy When Traveling Abroad: Travel Tips for Every World Traveler
If you are planning on traveling to the Caribbean, Mexico or perhaps Europe this year, stay healthy. If you are aware of the complications that can occur when traveling abroad, you can greatly decrease your chance of getting sick.
If you want to stay perfectly healthy when traveling the globe, make sure you take note of some of these healthy travel tips below. Many of them could save your life.
- Get all neccesary vaccinations before you fly, cruise or drive to another destination.
- Carry your health information with you and make copies of each document. Keep them in a seperate bag from the originals.
- Check the World Health Organization website for current diseases and outbreaks abroad.
- Do not drink tap water and be wary of salads, fruits and vegetables that may have been washed with the local tap water. Stick to sealed bottles of water, carbonated drinks and boiled water. Do not take chances!
- Stear clear of raw foods. They just may not be up to par in other countries. Take a sushi-free vacation!
- Use straws when drinking from cans. (Maybe this isn't a smart idea with a Corona or other types of beer. If that's the case, make sure you wipe the top of the can or opt for a glass)
- Some countries require that you take preventive medications before visiting. Check with your doctor.
- Take care of any necessary dental appointments before traveling. It will decrease your chances of having a nightmare of a tooth emergency abroad.
- If you have allergies, research and practice the names of the foods in other languages. Soy allergico a las cacahuetes! (Translation: I am allergic to peanuts in Spanish)
- Write down the locations of local hospitals and health clinics before traveling. This can save time in emergencies.
- Remember to purchase travel insurance before you go anywhere!